Swiss International Summer School 2010:
"Gender and Politics - Gendered Politics"
The Summer School 2010 "Gender and Politics - Gendered Politics" took place 14 - 18 June 2010, at the University of Bern, Switzerland.
The Swiss International Summer School Gender Studies was organized and financed by the Swiss Universities Network Gender Studies CH (Universities of Basel, Bern, Fribourg, Geneva, Lausanne, Luzern, Neuchâtel, St. Gallen and Zuerich)
Aim and Focus
The Summer School 2010 on "Gender and Politics - Gendered Politics" at the University of Bern focused on the gendered dimension of politics. We were concerned with two principle themes: Theories of Politics from a feminist and gendered perspective and Politics and Policies focusing on equality, political participation, gendered politics of care and welfare as well as global governance. Thereby we raised crucial questions concerning the nature of power, of state and of governance.
By approaching the theme of politics and policies from inter- and transdisciplinary perspectives the Summer School 2010 offered comprehensive insights into current debates and takes up an issue which has a long tradition within feminist thinking.
The participants were offered a program organized in eight modules including a field trip as well as additional events (keynotes, sigthseeing).
|Theories of Politics||Module 1||Politics, States and Democracy from a Gendered Perspective (Expert: Estelle Ferrarese)|
Feminist Political Theories (Expert: Joan Tronto)
Feminist Politics Revisited (Joan Tronto)
|Politics and Policies||Module 3||Political Participation (Expert: Birgit Sauer)|
|Module 4||Gender Politics of Care and Welfare (Expert: Joan Tronto)|
|Module 5||Doing Equality: Opportunities and Pitfalls (Expert: Birgit Sauer)|
|Module 6||Doing Feminism: local, national, and global (Expert: Jules Falquet)|
|Module 7||Women's Rights in Global Governance and International Law : Visit to the UN in Geneva|
(Expert: Regula Ludi)
Perspectives on Gender and Politics: Résumé by the Participants
When 'love' kills. The neoliberal State and women (Jules Falquet)
Experts and organizers
- Dr. Jules Falquet, CEDREF, University Paris Diderot 7
- Dr. Estelle Ferrarese, UFR des Sciences Sociales, University of Strasbourg
- PD Dr. Regula Ludi, Historisches Institut, University of Bern
- Prof. Dr. Birgit Sauer, Political Science - Governance and Gender, University of Vienna
- Prof. Dr. Joan Tronto, Professor of Political Science, University of Minnesota
Members of the organizing committee:
- Dr. Andrea Ch. Kofler, Interdisciplinary Center for Gender Studies, University of Bern
- Prof. Dr. Emmanuelle Lada, Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lausanne
- Prof. Dr. Andrea Maihofer, Center for Gender Studies, University of Basel
- Dr. Katrin Meyer, Coordinator of the Graduates Schools of Gender Studies Switzerland, University of Basel
- Dr. Brigitte Schnegg, Interdisciplinary Center for Gender Studies, University of Bern
- Prof. Dr. Therese Steffen, Graduate School for Gender Studies, University Zuerich
- Prof. Dr. em. Regina Wecker, Department of History, University of Basel
- Prof. Dr. Doris Wastl-Walter, Department of Geography, University of Bern
Members of the local organizing committee:
- Dr. Andrea Ch. Kofler and Fabienne Amlinger, Interdisciplinary Center for Gender Studies, University of Bern